STRATEGIES & KEY INITIATIVES
Career and Technical Education Centers
In the Fall of 2017, Randolph Career and Technical Center was re-launched to provide industry standard training in high wage, high-need building and construction trades for youth and adults.
This one-of-a-kind partnership between Detroit Public Schools Community District, the Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development and the Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation will create a pipeline into construction and skilled trades careers for Detroit youth and adults. While youth attend classes during the day, adults will train in the evening, on weekends and during the summer.
Program enhancements include:
- Enhanced high school CTE courses
- Adult training programs in the evening, on weekends and during the summer
- Building and classroom improvements
- Learning lab for contextualized basic skills
- New employer and union partnerships for mentors, training, classroom sponsorships and career exposure
- Wrap-around and support services
- Apprenticeship and community college partnerships
Our partnership with Detroit Public Schools Community School District continues as we begin working on transforming Breithaupt Career Technical Center.
- Over 300 high school students enrolled in Fall 2017
- Adult training programs began in late October
- Over 300 adults will be trained by the end of 2018
Randolph Career Tech is a phenomenal community of learners! Our mission is to intentionally link academic and technical skills with employability so students can flourish in the skilled trades, engineering, and business industries. While concurrently developing an entrepreneurial mindset, our students explore, select, and pursue career pathways that lead to post-secondary options; including entering the workforce, pursuing apprentice training, and enrolling in a 2-year community college or 4-year university.
Principal; Randolph Career Technical Center